Wk 3 - Art Activity - Graffiti Writing

Graffiti Writing

When I started doing this activity I was already out of my element. I had never used spray cans before, and it isn't like painting using oils or watercolor. When taggers show how they work, they do it quickly because they don't want to be caught. This doesn't show that using such a medium is I'd say quite different from others.

I tried doing the Japanese character 秋(aki) for the first character in my middle name, Akira (which is where my online moniker comes from). I guess in a way it turned more into calligraphy than graffiti. Although it could also be said that because graffiti, or tagging specifically, is focused on typography, it has similarities to calligraphy as well.

For my "tag" I tried a blockier style, but the main focus was keeping the character readable. This is difficult, as I find that making a compromise between style and readability is hard. I think the fact that some tags don't even look like letters is an accomplishment in itself. It means that only those who know know who made it, and it makes it visually distinctive.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wk 3 - Artist Essay - Revok